Monday 23 April 2012

Marathon # 4 - London

Traveled up to London on Saturday and spent a bit longer than usual at the Expo. Unfortunately, encountered no problems with the organisers issuing my number so no excuses not to run! Invested in a souvenir hoodie - it has 'London 2012' on the back over the top of a Union Flag which has a certain ring to it don't you think...? OK, so it may not be the Olympics tomorrow but I'm running in London in 2012 - it's the next best thing. Just to make things extra special, after I'd checked into the hotel I hopped back on the DLR and headed north to Stratford hoping to get into the Olympic Park. Unfortunately couldn't get any further than the wire fence surrounding the venues but it was still a bit special to see the main stadium up close and personal.
Spent the rest of the day lounging around 'off my feet' as you're advised to do the day before running a marathon. Met up with Debs, Mike and their two sons Matt and Jons, and Caro for a meal in the adjoining restaurant and was back in bed just after 9. However, didn't sleep much at all - actually very nervous about tomorrow. This is going to be the first time I've run a marathon on roads since Amsterdam last October and for some reason, I'm really feeling the pressure. I've nothing to prove to anyone or indeed myself and I'd already told myself that I'm not looking for any particular time or goal : just to enjoy it as much as possible.
The forecast wasn't particularly good for the Sunday but once again, they got it wrong...hoorah! Greeted by sunshine and although it's still below the norm, the temperature wasn't as cold as we were expecting. After downing some porridge and a slice of toast, Debs, Mike, Matt, Jons, Caro, Claire and I set off on our journey. The train wasn't anywhere near as packed as we've known it and we had room to breath! Disembarked at Greenwich and we would normally walk through the park to the red zone and then out onto Blackheath. Debs, Caro and I were all in the 'good for age' green start whilst Claire, in her very first marathon, was in red. However, the 3 of us were sent around the perimeter of the park in order to get to green and we didn't really have time to even say good luck to Claire.
Once we'd got to green start, we only really had time to join the long loo queue once then check out the celebrities before squeezing into our allocated start pen ready for the 9.45 gun. I've never known the crowds to be like they were today : 5 deep in places and, other than around Billingsgate Fish Market between 19/20 miles, they were constant. The noise was amazing and I took it all in. Cutty Sark was back in place after the devastating fire 5 years ago and the sight of the runners streaming round her bow, reflecting in the glass casing was amazing. People were shouting and screaming constantly. When going along 'The Highway' around 13 miles, I had the chance to see the leaders in the men's race, going through 22 miles on their way back. They look to be running so easily yet so fast - I can't sprint at their speed...how they sustain that for 26.2 miles I have no idea. Coming back down the other side of The Highway later on, I could see the masses making their way through half way, 9 miles behind me. It would be quite an incredible sight to see the helicopter view from the first to last runner...how far does that stretch?
Emerging from the long dark silence of Blackfriars Tunnel into the sunshine along Embankment was just into a wave of noise. I didn't hit the wall once although don't get me wrong... I'm not saying the run was in any way easy. Down Birdcage, in the last mile, I caught up with a New Forest Runner and it was 'game on'. My Boston marathon time of 3.23.33 passed whilst I was still down Birdcage but I wasn't concerned in the slightest. It was only once I was in The Mall that I realised that I could possibly beat my second fastest time ever...3.25.44 that I'd run in London 2010. I sprinted as fast as I could for that line then stopped my watch...3.25.45! How on earth can you run 26.2 miles two years apart and have the times just separated by a single second? I could!!
Then I was a little bit ill.....
Having got that over with it was then a case of having my timing chip removed, collecting my medal, goodie bag and clothing bag and sitting down in the sunshine to just remember what I've just gone through. I was so proud of myself and what I'd just done. One of my toes didn't feel like it should and I'm sure my legs will start to complain soon but right now....I'm happy.
Once home I looked up Niall (FitScottishBloke) to see if he had achieved his target of sub 3.30....he did : 3.27.36 so huge congrats to you (obviously must have been that training run I took you on in Bournemouth at target 8 minute miles that clinched it :o) ).
London, you sure do know how to put on an event....thank you!
On the way to Greenwich
Completing the 'hike' to the start

Nervous smiles!

Caro

Me!

Civilised queueing for the loo!

Looking back down The Mall
towards Buckingham Palace

Proud to be British on a day
like this

5hrs after the gun, runners are still streaming
along The Embankment at 25 miles passing
The London Eye and with Houses of
Parliament and Big Ben straight ahead
In the final 200m, looking happy
I earned this!!


Amazing crowds, amazing day

No comments:

Post a Comment